Monday, September 1, 2008

"A Bride's Anxiety"


I found this on the internet and fell in love with this quote, it's from an essay penned by Karen Eng entitled "A Bride's Anxiety" from the book Young Wives' Tales: New Adventures in Love and Partnership, edited by Jill Corral and Lisa Miya-Jervis, with a forward by bell hooks:

"The oddest of all pessimistic or thoughtless attitudes volleyed at me in the course of being engaged is this: Marriage is so scary because it's so permanent. At this I snort, and inwardly I wish it were true. In fact, I'm certain only that nothing goes on forever, that my desire for Iain takes the form of wanting to be with him from moment to moment into a future I can't see. Marriage is only as permanent as I am, and what am I? A resilient bag of blood. Life is fragile and brief- from where I stand it's nowhere near a long enough time with the person I want closest by me."

That last statement really got to me. It is truly the reason that Aaron and I are getting married. We learned from a shark that life is very fragile and can end at any moment... why waste any more time not being as close to each other as possible?

Honestly, I'm not worried at all about the "permanence" of marriage, I worry about it not lasting long enough.

No comments: